Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Subtle lies I believe

I Peter 1:13 says, "Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ."

As I was studying this passage this morning, I asked myself the question, what does he mean by sober-minded?  The dictionary definition of the word is sensible and rational.  As I see that definition, I easily think to myself, "Oh, I'm typically sensible and rational."

This is right where Satan and my sinful heart want me... forgetting every instance where I am subtly irrational and insensible.  Like with sin and the spiritual state of every person I interact with.

What are some of the ways I fall into this trap of deception?

"This sin won't actually hurt me, God, or anybody else." 

"This person really doesn't need to hear about Jesus right now."

"This is my time to do what I want."

"Was God really clear about this particular action in the scriptures?"

"I don't need to talk to this person about this conflict... our personalities just clash."

Have you ever had one of these pop into your head.  This should signal a loud screaming warning signal in our minds, because we're in danger of being deceived about the massive danger of walking away from Jesus.  I appreciate later in the letter, where Peter says that one of the responses we should have to Jesus rescuing us is, "so put away all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander." (I Peter 2:1).  One of the things that hits me hard is the fact that these are all relational terms, that the subtle lies and deceptions we fall prey to actually destroy relationships along with ourselves.  It destroys our relationship with God, because we sin much more willingly AND choose to see it in a way that it's not a big deal.  It destroys our relationships with others, because we don't see our wrongdoing in the matter.

It's in these little moments in which we need to be sober-minded, when we're tempted towards selfishness and pride, fear, and isolationism.  We must prepare our minds, and to do so, we must set our hope FULLY on the grace of Jesus Christ.

How?

Be sober-minded about your sin - Find sin and confess it

Repent- Turn away from it, and turn to the Lord.

Remember the Gospel - Fix your eyes on Jesus, and see Him that much more amazing that He forgives you of your obscene rebellion even now.

Ask God to prepare your mind - Pray, and ask that the Lord would help you reject lies in the midst of spiritual battle.

Don't get sucked into the subtle lies, and always be on guard.  Don't allow your sin to suppress the truth, but rather trust in the majestic truth that Jesus died for sinners.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment